Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pop Goes the Pumpkin

If you have been following my blog, you know that I have been dreaming about hosting a Halloween party for the past couple of years. Well, despite having our middle child's birthday on the 26th, I have decided that I am going for it this year. The Halloween party planning has begun! Nothing too fancy. Just a little Halloween Shindig for my kids and some of their friends to help celebrate the SPOOKY season. In the midst of my planning, I have come across some really great ideas that are easy and super kid friendly (nothing too scary, since I am catering to a younger crowd). Over the next couple of weeks I will be sharing some of these great finds. I hope that you are able to use them for your own Halloween celebrations.


Today's find is a fun Halloween game called Pop Goes the Pumpkin. This version of a classic carnival game will thrill your guests as well as provide your party with a festive wall decoration. (I will note that this game may not be suitable for younger children. Six years and older would be my suggestion). Guests are given a pin or dart and take turns popping the mini "pumpkins" to discover confetti, candy, and whatever else the balloons are filled with. I think that this is a fun alternative to a pinata for an older group of kids.

Here are the instructions from Martha Stewart:

TOOLS AND MATERIALS

•4-by-5 1/2-foot piece of foam board
•2 yards of burlap or other fabric
•Duct tape
•Removable hooks (such as Command hooks)
•Thirty-five 12-inch orange balloons
•Confetti
•Candy (small, thin types work best)
•Pump, for balloons (optional), joann.com
•T pins
•Green paper
•Ribbon
•Pushpins (or darts for bigger kids)



HOW-TO

1. Cover foam board with burlap; secure in back with duct tape. Adhere it to wall with hooks.

2. Fill balloons with confetti (using a funnel) and candy. Leave a few treat-free to add to the suspense.

3. Inflate the balloons (a pump makes it faster); tie off with a knot. Attach balloons to board with T pins, in a pumpkin shape.

4. Cut a stem shape (download the template) from green paper, and secure with T pins.

5. Cut ribbon; tie onto pushpin handles to make them easier to hold on to (and find, if dropped).

Happy Popping!

1 comment:

  1. I'm borrowing this idea from Martha too. My son started pre-K this year and wanted to invite his entire class to our annual Halloween party. This year's theme is a Halloween carnival - this pop the pumpkin game will be perfect :)

    Good luck with your party planning!!

    ReplyDelete